■What is the Coronavirus?
The new strain of Coronavirus (COVID-19), first discovered in China in December 2019, is an infectious virus that affects the respiratory system. It is reported to cause coughing, fevers and pneumonia. The virus is transmitted through coughing/sneezing and direct contact with contaminated surfaces.
■If you have been to Hubei Province/Zhejiang Province within the last two weeks, or have come into contact with someone who has, please take extra care and follow the steps below:
• If you develop a cough or fever, contact a health center
• Follow the instructions of the health center, wear a mask and book an appointment at a medical facility
• When you visit, inform staff that you have recently visited Hubei/Zhejiang province.
■Preventing the spread of infection
Individual actions to prevent infection:
• After going outside, wash your hands and gargle
• Disinfect your hands using an alcohol-based disinfectant
• Avoid visiting crowded areas
• Keep rooms humid and well ventilated
• Lead a regular lifestyle, and get enough rest
• Eat a balanced diet and drink plenty of fluids
Preventing Infection through proper “Coughing Etiquette”
• If you have symptoms of coughing or sneezing, wear a mask
• If you don’t have a mask, when you sneeze or cough, do so into a tissue or the crook of your elbow
Further information on the New Coronavirus (Easy Japanese, English)